fly away home

June 04, 2016

6.4.16

A few weeks ago, I was across the street taking care of the chickens when I saw a house sparrow hanging from its nest by a piece of twine around wound around its neck.  The nest was in one of the bluebird boxes we hung up around the property.  I wasn't sure what to do because the string was wound so tightly and it was hard to see the exact placement because the bird had so many little feathers, so I detached the twine from the nest and brought the bird (with the string still around its neck) into the house.  Mom, Sarah, and I laboriously searched through the neck feathers and finally found the string.  I'd like to say the rest was easy, but truly, it wasn't.  If you have ever tried to use a sharp pair of scissors to clip a tiny piece of twine from around a songbird's neck, you'll know what I mean.  We eventually got it off, though, and the bird is safe and well! ;)

Sarah and I went back down to its nest and released it; pictures below. 


11 comments

  1. That bird is very fortunate you found it! I imagine it would be difficult to cut string off the neck of a bird. As always, lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment, Vanessa! <3

      Delete
  2. Lovely story and pictures... I can't imagine how happy that bird is now, and I'm sure it's thankful you found him ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a fun experience! :D

      Delete
  3. How sweet that you helped the little bird out! I'm sure he's very thankful :)

    Blessings,

    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am thankful I found him. It was tempting to keep the cute little thing! ;D

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know, right?! Thanks for the comment, Milly!

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOSH. POOR LITTLE THING!! my heart<3333 This is so beautiful and I'm so happy you got to save it!! ^.^ also lovely pictures whaT A GOSH DARN CUTIE. Aren't songbirds so tiny and light?!! gah.

    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the poor little thing!! Songbirds are definitely adorable. <3 <3

      Delete
  6. this is tugging at my heart and won't let go. oh my.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, please leave me a comment! ♥

© Lavender + Blue. Design by FCD.