farewell summer, until next time

September 05, 2016

Wow.  This summer has gone by so quickly and yet was filled with so many amazing things.  I learned a lot this summer about myself and writing, about the importance of being earnest, about the blessing of friends.  From the annual county fair and showing chickens there, to the most remote conversations with friends.  Though I skimped a bit on my reading this summer and spring, here's a list of what I did get to and can remember:
(the * means it was a re-read)

Little Women* by Louisa May Alcott
Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie* by Alan Bradley
A Red Herring Without Mustard* by Alan Bradley
The Peterkin Papers by Lucretia Hale
A Lantern in Her Hand (the book my blog was named after)* by Bess Streeter Alrich
The Book on Writing by Paula Laroque
Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande
Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Old Man and the Sea (x2) by Ernest Hemingway
The Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George
The Semi-attached Couple by Emily Eden
The Semi-detached House by Emily Eden
The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline* by Nancy Springer
Sisters of the Confederacy by Lauraine Snelling
Northanger Abbey* by Jane Austen
The White Company by Authur Conan Doyle
North and South by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
L. M. Montgomery short stories by L. M. Montgomery

If you haven't read some of these books, you must.  All of them were incredible.  Also, I definitely know there were more, but knowing me, I didn't make a list. ;)  What books did you enjoy this summer?


Memorable events from this summer and spring:
Hiking different trails of the Finger Lakes
Gatherings with friends
The hatching of my chicken friends: Tickles, Roger, Bibbiti, and Bobbiti.  I call them The Company (photos and story soon!)
Bike rides around town
How excited everyone would get when it rained
Campfires in the evenings
Cousin Campout 2016 - the fifth annual
The day when we heard that our friends who moved to Colorado two years ago are coming to visit in October
Prepping for school
Listening to books on Audible and Librivox
A book club with a friend
Corning Museum of Glass
Genesee Country Village
Ithaca
Ontario County Fair + State Fair
My new camera + 50mm lens
Getting my ears pierced
Phone calls with friends
Photoshoots
Beach visits
Piano lessons which continued through the summer for the first time
Eating half-baked brownies ;)
Using my typewriter
Finding a whole bush of nightshade, including some deadly nightshade!
Enjoying new baby Beatrix
Watching the sunset + big fluffy clouds
Taking photos of heat lightning in July
Fireworks
Trying to find a cool place to write
Picking black raspberries while trying to swat flies and mosquitoes
Summer dinners on the deck
Dad re-painted the house, deck, and picnic table
Writing amidst the roses at Gairloch Gardens in Canada
Pizza parties of all sorts
Attending my first-ever wedding
Beatrix's baptism 
Getting my hair cut on my birthday




I am excited for school and our school-year activities to start up again.  Though I love summer, it is nice to have a routine and a schedule.

Looking forward to: 
Greek 102 starts Septemeber 16 so I have been trying to cram in as much studying as I can!
Homeschool starts tomorrow!  I can't believe I am in highschool!
Nature studies together on Fridays with our friends!  
Seeing the Keys in October!  
Laying in the fallen leaves outside and doing schoolwork!  
Trying to find the time to write once school starts . . . !
Wearing socks and cardigans again!


Annika, me, Sarah, and Beatrix
And lastly, the books my mom chose for me for ninth grade:
Our Life in the Church
How to be a Tudor by Ruth Goodman
Hands of Mercy: The Story of Sister Nurses in the Civil War
Arnold Forster's A History of England from the Landing of Julius Caesar to the Present Day
The Mediterranean: Saga of a Sea (parts I-III)
The Odyssey of Homer
Napolean and the Napoleonic Wars
Clockwork Universe
Wildflowers and the Stories Behind Their Names
Are you Liberal, Conservative, or Confused?
The Count of Monte Cristo
A History of English Literature
Of Microscopes and Men
School for Scandal
The Story of Science: Newton at the Center
The Glorious Adventure by Richard Halliburton
Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery
The Everything American Government Book by Nick Ragone
Silas Marner: The Weaver of Raveloe
The Struggle for Sea Power
A Tale of Two Cities 
John Steinbeck's The Pearl
The Vicar of Wakefield
Janson's Story of Painting: From Cave Painting to Modern Times
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean
Microbe Hunters
Wee Sir Gibbie of the Highlands

10 comments

  1. these all sound like such interesting reads, ahhh! gorgeous photos, as always <3 and good luck in ninth grade!

    evelyn clickman @ if these stars shall fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check them out! They are all excellent reads.
      Thank you! -- I appreciate that. :D The first day of school has gone pretty well so far . . . well, except for math . . . ;) Algebra is a pain. ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a a great summer! Your pictures are lovely. <3

    Emily//A Purpose and A Promise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Emily! Your comment means a lot. <3

      Delete
  3. Goodness gracious, Sophie--you're in HIGH SCHOOL??? That seems way to old for you---fourteen!! GAAAH!! XD I can't believe that when we first met you when you were eleven, it's gone so far!! (Our friendship with our families ;) I cannot wait to see you in October either--------jeez, it's so far away!!

    The photos made me cry (on the inside), all the words and books made me laugh (Little Women, lol) and the picture of you, Sarah, Anni and Beatrix is so touching! I am looking forward to swatting mosquitoes with you!! lololololol XD

    Amelia
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT?! Man, I think I actually only ten when we met you! We are going to have an absolute blast in October. :D

      Aww, that's sweet. I am glad you enjoyed the post! I know, aren't we just the cutest? ;) LOL
      Ooo, hooray! We can be mosquito-swatting-buddies! Fun, fun. ;)
      Love you! And thanks for the comment -- you made me laugh. :D

      Delete
  4. NOOOO! I can not believe it's almost over! YIKES! This is such a good wrap up post. I like how you cut it into sections! The memorable memories is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am going to miss dear summer and it's hot, dry weather. <3
      Oh, thank you! I think it will be nice to look back upon the memories in the depths of snowy winter . . . :D

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful, fun-filled summer! I look forward to reading about your chickens ;). Congrats on starting high school--the titles of the books your mom chose were all very intriguing.

    Ella ~ Simply Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Ella! I hope you'll follow along on this little adventure. :)
      Thank you! They have all been great reads so far, thankfully.

      Delete

Don't be shy, please leave me a comment! ♥

© Lavender + Blue. Design by FCD.