Babies, Window Stars, Birthdays, And The Rest

February 19, 2017

We've been making these super cool window stars lately using "kite paper" and have been donating them to hospices and nursing homes to brighten up windows.  If anyone is interested, I can post a DIY on how to make the stars.  Just let me know in the comments.

At the Picasso exhibit in Buffalo (February)

Beatrix cuteness

Taking a nature walk

Dinner with Grandma (I think this was on New Years Eve—whoops!!)

Ice-skating

My bestie and I were doing a facetime and somehow one of her two sisters and two of my three sisters all ended up in room at the same time. xD  Might as well do a group call, right? ;)  

Annika's 11th birthday party!

And re-painting the downstairs!  How does is look?  The tan and dark green is old—we're putting on the white trim and white ceiling in the first photo.

All right, now after that massive photo dump (okay, I suppose it wasn't that massive) ;) here's a little life update.  This week has been pretty lax.  On Wednesday we headed to a friend's house to do some "fauxligraphy" (basically just calligraphy without the special pen).  It was lots of fun and a good activity to break up the afternoon!  
There were no Greek and Latin lessons on Friday because the friends we do it with were in Florida for the week, so instead we met out cousins from Canada at a Picasso exhibit up in Buffalo, about a two hour drive from our home.  After admiring paintings and hanging around the exhibit for a while, we grabbed some lunch at a cute little pizza shop and trekked back home with the cousins for a weekend visit which included multiple rounds of tag, "Anni's Game", and the "Circle Game".  The Playmobiles and nerf guns were rife on the boys' end. ;) 

Today we went to two churches in a row!  Sarah (oldest sister) had to sing at a new church in a town nearby at the 8:00 a.m. mass.  They apparently haven't had music in over three years and so the congregation has been singing a very off-tune acapella.  They feel really blessed to have Sarah.  Sarah was accompanied by a friend on the piano.  They made a great team.  
After church #1, we headed over to our regular church about ten-ish minutes away from our house.  Stopped at a cafe on the way there for breakfast before our next mass at 10:00 a.m. ;P  Then I got roped into altar serving there, so that was great. ;)
Overall, it was a fun and hopping day.  I went on a walk later in the afternoon after our Canada cousins left to go home and hung out down at the bottom of our property in this place we call "Willowmere".  It is so incredibly gorgeous.  I'll take the camera next time for you guys. :D

Our weather has been crazy warm!  The first three months of the year are my least favorite because they are just so darn dreary . . . even though my birthday is in March. ;)  But yesterday we had a high of 66! . . . Though today only got up to 57. :P  I really have been enjoying just being able to pick up my feet outside and run without having to shuffle through the ridiculous snow for chores.  I have missed the outside smells that were masked by winter.  Ahh, this earth is so beautiful.

Other things I have been enjoying of late:
"Object shoots" and portrait shoots . . . pretty much just my camera in general. ;)
Hiking.
Spending time with the chickens who have finally decided to venture out of the coop now that the snow's gone.
Dreaming.
Writing in my journal.
Blogging.
Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini.  
Kindness.

My mom will be having major surgery on her knee on March 3rd in NYC.  If anyone thinks of it, we would really appreciate some prayers.  She'll be in a rehab for at least 6 weeks until she can put full weight on her leg again, and won't be back to the point she is at right now (before the surgery) for an entire year.  She's had some crazy problems with it since she was little which are centered around a deformity in the patella and bone structure.  Both exciting and scary for her to have it fixed.  Gosh, I never thought I'd know so much about knees. xD  
Anything you need me to pray for?  Just let me know.  Love you all <3

14 comments

  1. Love the window stars! Will definitely pray for your mom! A family member of mine is actually about to have knee surgery as well. Thanks for the sweet comments you left in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They definitely are pretty. :)
      Aww, thanks so much! Will be praying for your relative too. <3
      No problem! You have such a cool space.

      Delete
  2. Wow, so many surgeries going on between both of our families! We will be praying for you all and the surgeons. :)
    AGH! XD That photo! XD Thank you for no names...I'm like, pointing at everybody at once it creeps me out that picture you took of us. Lol!
    Yes! Take your camera to Willomere! I haven't seen that darling place for a few winters, refresh my memory, please. ;)

    Great post, as usual,
    Amelia xxx
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Craziness. xD Thanks, Milly!
      No problem! LOL It was a hilarious moment though. You have to admit. ;)
      Awesome! I definitely will! :D
      Thanks, girlfriend. <3

      Delete
  3. THOSE KITE STARS ARE SO AWESOME. I always wanted to make them as a kid, but my parents never let me.

    I'll definitely keep your mom in my thoughts!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! They are tons of fun. :D
      Aww, thanks very much!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this post, Sohpia! (Actually, I enjoy all your posts.) And it's been too long since I've visited your blog, so I just have to say: I really like the new name, and design, and the few posts on different topics you've shared! :)

    That's a lovely idea to make windows stars for others! It seems you have a few intricate designs/patterns for the stars too. And I'll be thinking of your mum with her surgery.. I imagine that must be a little stressful for you all. I hope it goes well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! I have been really enjoying the new design too—I feel like it's a lot more user friendly. Thanks!

      Yes, they are tons of fun! And are a great way to add some color to a dreary window. :D Thanks very much. <3
      Thank you for stopping by! Your comment made me smile. <3

      Delete
  5. Beatrix is so cute! And I love the idea of the stars.
    I will definitely pray for your mom! I hope the surgery goes well!

    ~Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! :D She is just beyond cuteness. ;)
      Thank you!! Me too. <3

      Delete
  6. Yes!!!!!! Yes yes yes!! I want to make those stars!!!! I still need to make the butterflies too... BUT STILL! Go ahead!!!! My room will look so purty!
    Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh!!!!! BEATRIX!!!!! She is SO adorable!!!!!!!!!! I can't handle it.
    Oh! This is slightly random, but I have a character in a story I wrote named Beatrix! I didn't even think of it till today! Randomness is awesome.
    Hahahahaha whenever I am Skypeing with my friends my younger siblings come in and talk and comment and ask a million questions. It's not that fun. But I can laugh about it now, so it's okay!!
    Happy Birthday, Annika!!!!!!!
    Ooh! Painting the house s always fun!!! Well, technically I've never painted my own house, since we're never in the same place long enough, but I've done lots of paint jobs! I do most of the cutting in.

    Sounds like you're having a great time in general!!!!!
    Yikes sounds painful. I will DEFINITELY pray for your mum!!!!
    If you wouldn't mind praying for me too, we're visiting family and there's all sorts of spats that have happened and because of our parents not getting along us cousins rarely see each other. It's ridiculous. Also, we are going back to Nicaragua on March 1st if you could pray for safe travels and our mission! Thank you so much Sophia!!!! You are so fantastic.
    ~E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the stars and butterflies are so much fun! I'll do a star video for you so you can make some. If you can't ahold of kite paper, I'll bet tissue paper would be good too. :)
      Isn't she just?!! :D
      LOL that's super funny! I must say I haven't written about anyone named Esther yet . . . but it's such a pretty name that I'm due to soon. :)
      No way! My siblings to do the exact. same. thing. xD
      Thank you!! I'll tell her asap.
      I agree—it's so much fun to put paint on an actual wall rather than paper. ;) Cutting in is fun! . . . As long as there isn't a TON of it. ;)
      Thank you!! Your prayers are much appreciated. <3
      Of course! I hope everything turns out okay. That sounds like a tough situation. :(
      Aww, thank YOU so so much!! That's really sweet of you to say. <3 <3
      xx

      Delete
  7. I so LOVE the pic of you, Beatrix, Annika! <33 your smile is beautiful!
    Wow. It's crazy how something like that can impact someone's life! That's so sad! If I think of her, I'll pray for y'all! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige!! That's really sweet of you to say. :D
      I know right! She'll definitely appreciate being able to walk around without worrying about her knee dislocating so often, after the surgery. But it's going to a be a long process. Thank you!!

      Delete

Don't be shy, please leave me a comment! ♥

© Lavender + Blue. Design by FCD.