“Light in the Darkness” ~ greye

May 31, 2017


I wrote a song for my best friend, Dorothy yesterday, who moved to Colorado in 2014.  It is her 14th birthday today!  I just wanted her to know how special she is to me and how much I appreciate her friendship.  So here you go, Dorothy!  I love you!! xx
I got the idea to write this yesterday morning and plugged away at it all day between self-defense class, reading The Royal Road to Romance, babysitting, and doing algebra. xD  And also eating pretzels for comfort food, of course.
I'm planning to do a whole separate viedeo on the story behind the lyrics + etc of this song, so sit tight! :)

P.s. SO sorry my head is cut off in the video!!  Just treat it like a recording lol.  I totally did not realize the camera was pointing down so far. xD  Sound-wise (also, mistake-wise) this isn't my favorite video I've ever done . . . sorry.  Ahh well, I'm certainly not a perfect human being.  Though . . . it sounds better in person, I promise. ;D

LYRICS AND CHORDS

Verse 1: I {C#FG#} said I didn't {BbC#F} want to go,
but they {F#BbC#} sent me anyway {G#CEb}.
And I'm {CF#G#} glad they did
'cause {BbC#F} that's when I {F#BbC#} met you {G#CEb}.

You were {C#FG#} small and blond,
{BbC#F} standing in the corner
just {F#BbC#} waiting for a friend {G#CEb}.

 We {C#FG#} didn't click fast,
but {BbC#F} when we did we {CF#G#} never, never fell {G#CEb}.

(instrumental)

Verse 2: And {C#FG#} so it goes {BbC#F} {F#BbC#}
Two kindred {G#CEb} spirits playing {C#FG#} houses {BbC#F} before the snow {CF#G#}.
{G#CEb} Memories . . . .

Chorus:  You are my {low C#FG#} light in the darkness, 
my {G#CEb} song in the night,
I {BbC#F} told it all to you
on a {F#BbC#} mid-august night.

{low C#FG#} You were sympathetic
as you {G#CEb} listened to my tale of a {BbC#F} story
of a {F#BbC#} story
of the {F#BbC#} story of my {C#FG#} life.

Verse 3: And {F#BbC#} at the Christmas {G#CEb} party
there were {BbC#F} tears in the {C#FG#} kitchen,
I {F#BbC#} remember it {G#CEb} all so {C#FG#} clearly.

{F#BbC#} Not long {G#CEb} after with {BbC#F} peppermints in our {C#FG#} ice cream
we {F#BbC#} said {G#CEb} goodbye.  
Farewell {BbC#F}, you're a {C#FG#} story
{F#BbC#} Farewell, you're a {G#CEb} story of my {C#FG#} life.

Bridge: And {C#FG#} everything is {BbC#F} going to {CF#G#} be {G#CEb} okay.
Don't you {C#FG#} worry 'bout a {BbC#F} single little {G#CEb} thing.
You'll be {C#FG#} there for {BbC#F} me,
I'll be {CF#G#} there for {G#CEb} you.
{C#FG#} Miles cannot {BbC#F} tear apart our {G#CEb} apart.

Chorus: You are my {low C#FG#} light in the darkness,
my {G#CEb} song in the night,
{BbC#F} told it all to you
on a {F#BbC#} mid-august night.

{low C#FG#} You were sympathetic
as you {G#CEb} listened to my tale of a {BbC#F} story
of a {F#BbC#} story
of the {F#BbC#} story of my {C#FG#} life.

Note: On the last line of the last chorus I sing "story of my heart" instead of "story of my life"!!  UGH xD 





p.s. this is my 200th post!!

10 comments

  1. I love your songs, girl! You have a beautiful voice, and these lyrics are so sweet, and beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm so glad!! That makes me happy. <3 Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Sophia Parshall, you are the sweetest friend alive. I am so, so thankful for your friendship. Wow. By the end of this I was literally in tears. This was the sweetest birthday present you could have possible given me. I love you to the moon and back.
    I will always be there for you, always. xoxoxoxox

    P.s
    You are an absolutely AMAZING singer/song writer!!!! I could have never even wished for someone who would have impacted my life in such a crazy wonderful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy Key, you are the sweetest friend alive, believe me. <3 I love you so much and it means the world to me that this song touched you so much. Thank you for everything. You deserve the world.
      xoxo

      P.s. Dot, thank you!!!! That is SO sweet of you. <3 <3

      Delete
  3. Oh my, such a sweet gift for your friend! You're so thoughtful. (And wow, you wrote it in one day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. <3 (Haha it was crazy but I did it!) xD

      Delete
  4. AGH! SOPHIA!! THIS IS PERFECTION!!
    Jus reading the lyrics made me so nostalgic and miss my best friend so much!! We met seen years ago and have been insepperable since- except when we were in different countries- sometimes different continents!!
    This song is a perfect way to express anyone's friendship, which is why its so perfect. It reminds each person of their own memory with their own best friend and yet its one song.
    I think that's what I love most about your songs- they aren't JUST personal, they speak to everyone.
    KEEP IT UP, GIRL! YOU'RE DOING AMAZING.
    I actually kind of like the angle of this video, its unique and it also draws attention to your beautiful smile AND THATS NEVER A BAD THING! XD
    <3 <3
    3,6,8,9 and 10 are my favourite photos. You girls are so adorable!


    P.S. Happy Birthday to Dorothy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!
      Long distance friendships are SO hard but you get so much out of them you never would have gotten from a regular friendship. I have learned sooo much. <3 You and your friend sound like such sweeties.
      WOWOW Thank you so much, Esther!! You give me so much courage. I cannot even put into words how much I appreciate you and all of your encouragement.
      Oooo I'm so glad!!! LOL well thanks!! I have a bit of a crooked smile but hey whatevs. :D
      Awesome!! We are cute aren't we 😍
      xx

      P.s. Thanks!! I will tell her. :D

      Delete
  5. Sophia. This means so much to me! For you making Dorothy's birthday so special. I literally got so choked up. <3 I cannot wait to see you in ELEVEN days! These past few weeks I have missed you more than ever. And now, I'm just craving for a laugh with you. :D
    Well done with this song, you wrote it in one day and it turned out so incredibly good!

    Amelia xxx
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your comment means so much to me, Amelia. <3 <3 <3 I cannot wait to see you!!! The day after tomorrow OHMYGOSH :DDD Aww I feel the same way! Our phone call the other day was way too fun. We're gonna have to do that again. :)
      Thank you! I was worried it wouldn't turn out how I wanted, but I am actually very pleased with it.

      Delete

Don't be shy, please leave me a comment! ♥

© Lavender + Blue. Design by FCD.