Ephesians Greek Homework

June 04, 2017

Some pineapple photography to start us off. ;D


So . . . on Friday Sarah and I had a final assignment due for Greek class—to basically deeply analyze verses 3-14 of Ephesians. I was really dreading it, but I started a few days ahead. Honestly, it was actually unexpectedly fun. I enjoyed writing the background summary and commentary, and the translating was made easier by the fact that I had some helpful translation notes jotted down from translating it in class as few months ago. However, sentence diagramming it was absolute heck. (I didn't include those partly because they're all probably wrong . . . and also my teacher currently has them to grade.) xD
Doing this assignment was very informative.  I discovered what the general meaning behind these specific verses was—which I would have never found any other way.  It was amazing.

Anyhoo, I figured I'd save it here on my blog, just because there's not really anywhere else to keep it lol. xD

--
The background of Ephesians~

Ephesians was written by the apostle and missionary, Paul, during his first imprisonment in Rome.  It is one of the four “prison epistles” in the bible.  The others are Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon.  Ephesians was written as a formal letter probably to the church of Ephesus in Asia Minor.  It is a book which demonstrates what it means to be a true Christian, Ephesians is an excellent moral guide for Christians.  It was written around the same time as Colossians and Philemon, in 60-62 A.D.

The Greek~

1Παῦλος ἀπόστολος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ διὰ θελήματος θεοῦ τοῖς ἁγίοις τοῖς οὖσιν [ἐν Ἐφέσῳ] καὶ πιστοῖς ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ: 2χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη ἀπὸ θεοῦπατρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ. 3Εὐλογητὸς ὁ θεὸς καὶ πατὴρ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, ὁ εὐλογήσας ἡμᾶς ἐν πάσῃ εὐλογίᾳ πνευματικῇ ἐντοῖς ἐπουρανίοις ἐν Χριστῷ, 4καθὼς ἐξελέξατο ἡμᾶς ἐν αὐτῷ πρὸ καταβολῆς κόσμου, εἶναι ἡμᾶς ἁγίους καὶ ἀμώμους κατενώπιον αὐτοῦ ἐν ἀγάπῃ,5προορίσας ἡμᾶς εἰς υἱοθεσίαν διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ εἰς αὐτόν, κατὰ τὴν εὐδοκίαν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ, 6εἰς ἔπαινον δόξης τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ ἧςἐχαρίτωσεν ἡμᾶς ἐν τῷ ἠγαπημένῳ, 7ἐν ᾧ ἔχομεν τὴν ἀπολύτρωσιν διὰ τοῦ αἵματος αὐτοῦ, τὴν ἄφεσιν τῶν παραπτωμάτων, κατὰ τὸ πλοῦτος τῆς χάριτοςαὐτοῦ, 8ἧς ἐπερίσσευσεν εἰς ἡμᾶς ἐν πάσῃ σοφίᾳ καὶ φρονήσει 9γνωρίσας ἡμῖν τὸ μυστήριον τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ, κατὰ τὴν εὐδοκίαν αὐτοῦ ἣν προέθετοἐν αὐτῷ 10εἰς οἰκονομίαν τοῦ πληρώματος τῶν καιρῶν, ἀνακεφαλαιώσασθαι τὰ πάντα ἐν τῷ Χριστῷ, τὰ ἐπὶ τοῖς οὐρανοῖς καὶ τὰ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς: ἐν αὐτῷ, 11ἐνᾧ καὶ ἐκληρώθημεν προορισθέντες κατὰ πρόθεσιν τοῦ τὰ πάντα ἐνεργοῦντος κατὰ τὴν βουλὴν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ, 12εἰς τὸ εἶναι ἡμᾶς εἰς ἔπαινον δόξηςαὐτοῦ τοὺς προηλπικότας ἐν τῷ Χριστῷ: 13ἐν ᾧ καὶ ὑμεῖς ἀκούσαντες τὸν λόγον τῆς ἀληθείας, τὸ εὐαγγέλιον τῆς σωτηρίας ὑμῶν, ἐν ᾧ καὶ πιστεύσαντεςἐσφραγίσθητε τῷ πνεύματι τῆς ἐπαγγελίας τῷ ἁγίῳ, 14ὅ ἐστιν ἀρραβὼν τῆς κληρονομίας ἡμῶν, εἰς ἀπολύτρωσιν τῆς περιποιήσεως, εἰς ἔπαινον τῆς δόξηςαὐτοῦ. 

Ephesians 3-14 translation~

3-Blessed be the God and father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the one who blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ.
4-Just as He chose us in Him (Christ) before a foundation of the world to be holy and blameless before Him in live,
5-Having predestined us into adoption through Jesus Christ unto Him according to the good pleasure of His will,
6-Unto praise of glory of His grace with which He graced us in the beloved.
7-In Him we are having deliverance through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, during/according to the riches of His grace
8-Which abound unto us, in all wisdom and understanding,
9-Having made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure which He planned in Him.
10-Unto the administration of the fullness of times, sum up altogether in Christ the things upon the heavens and upon the earth in Him.  
11-In whom also we were chosen having been predestined according to the purpose of the one who is working all things together according to the council of His will.
12-In order that we might be unto the praise of the glory of Him we are the ones who had hoped before.
13-In whom you yourselves after having heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, also were sealed by the holy spirit of promise.  
14-The one who is the pledge of our inheritance unto redemption of the possession unto praise of his glory.


Ephesians commentary~


Bless Jesus Christ who blessed us.  Basically this verse is saying that we are praising Him—thanking Him—because he generously blessed us with great gifts.  We have been given the option to be holy and blameless because Christ died so our sins could be forgiven.  

Another of the gifts is predestination to be His children.  He freely blessed us with such gifts because it pleased Him and it was His will to do so.  We should praise Him for His “glorious grace”.  Because of Him, we can have redemption.  He made this known to us when He sent down His son, Christ, to bring us salvation.  God has a plan to gather up all in things under Him at the end of time.  God does everything for His own good pleasure.  We are meant to live to praise His glory.  We were marked by His seal in the beginning of time.  Christ chose us to be His, and His alone, before the beginning of the world.  We have been His since the very beginning and His call to “come, follow Me”, has been there for all eternity.  

The central meaning of this passage is that we should praise God for his freely given gifts.  We should praise His wondrous glory because we are His.  This is our purpose.  

16 comments

  1. I LOVED this! It was so informative on your life, and I especially enjoyed the pineapple photography. ;D
    I'm so glad you thought it was fun, I was more-or-less dreading it for you! xP LOL
    SEVEN DAYS GIRL OHMYGOLLY. <3 <3 <3 *squeals*

    Amelia xxx
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I think it's so cool when school/study requires studying the Bible and learning more about God - my favourite type of study! But I also totally understand about sentence diagramming. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Greek class sounds so cool! I'd love to spend time dissecting texts-- and while it does sound a bit boring to others, it's just cool to unveil another language and having a better understanding to communicate with others about it.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    P.S. Loving the pineapples, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely fun! It totally is. I used to be one of those "others", but Greek really opened a new world to me. It has been an adventure for sure. :)

      P.s. Thank you. <3 <3

      Delete
  4. I love the book of Ephesians. And I think that's a wonderful way to learn more about it and understand it better. Thank you for sharing! Also, I love those pics :)

    -T. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great yes!! Absolutely! I'm really glad you enjoyed. Haha well thanks :DD

      Delete
  5. Ah, love love the second picture! Pineapples are so weirdly photogenic!

    ...ANY WAHTT EVEN??? HOW ON EARTH DO YOU UNDERSTAND THOSE SCRIBBLE THINGS? wow that's just crazy! Cuz yeah I love languages, but I only learn those with words...
    You're sooooooooooooooo talented, like omw. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They ARE!!! I don't know why!!

      Haha it's not as hard as it looks honestly. :D Once you got the alphabet pretty good, it's all about the vocab and then paradigms etc. Once I had the alphabet, I worked on pronouncing the words and it really wasn't too bad.
      However, understanding the words is a whole different story. xD Greek is all about torturing students with participles lol.
      Aww thank you!! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  6. Whoa, you're learning Greek? That's so cool! Awesome post <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's pretty cool!! Thanks, Ellie. You're really the best. <3

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Samia! Glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  8. Arg!!! I didn't get around to commenting till foreeever and 3 hours have passed and I know you will probably be your darling, forgiving self and say its okay BUT I'm still sorry!!!!
    Pineappleee!!!!!! We used to only have it once or twice a year for sper special occasions- just to keep it awesome and special and be our traditional St. Nicholas day treat- but now we have it sooo much and while it's still pretty to look at, I'll keep it as just that, thanks XD

    And GREEK!! Aaaalso not my favourite ;P Its interesting and nice but we were learning Greek AND Latin and just no. THEN HERE YOU ARE TRANSLATING THE BIBLE.
    GIRL? YOU CRAZY.
    And also awesomesauce wrapped in something else that's super yummy and cool!!!
    I cannot say enough how much I love your comments and your blog and your beautiful witness.
    You are so smart and caring and beautiful, its a wonder you don't take up world domination!! I think you'd be marvelous at it ;P XD

    Also, your take on the reading is really great! And true. Its a good thing to remember, and one I always forget. I need to be always praising and thanking him.

    "We have been His since the very beginning and His call to “come, follow Me”, has been there for all eternity." <<< SO. TRUE. And very poetically worded.

    Anyway, LOVE the photos!!
    <3 <3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I did Latin a few years ago too. I think I liked Greek more though even though participles are heck. xD LOL I know I am crazy.
      AWW Esther thank you thank you!!! <3 You are so inspiring as well. xx
      I legit just wrote down your sweet words to keep forever and ever because just <3 <3 <3 <3

      Thank you!! I thought the whole passage was really interesting.

      Lol I'm good with poetic words. xD

      Thank you!!!

      Delete
  9. This looks really similar to what I'm doing in my Greek class! I love the language-it's sounds so mystical and interesting, not to mention how fun it is to write it!
    ~Mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!! It is SUPER fun to write. :D

      Delete

Don't be shy, please leave me a comment! ♥

© Lavender + Blue. Design by FCD.